The purpose of the Intern Development Program (IDP) is to train and develop competent architects who are prepared to practice architecture independently upon registration. NCARB established the IDP to provide a diversified exposure of the architectural practice to interns. The IDP is a structured internship that, within an architectural office, is the most recognized way for an aspiring architect to gain experience prior to architectural registration.
In order for an intern to obtain the most from this development period, exposure to a wide range of experience within an office setting is necessary. Direct supervision of an intern is the primary and most effective method to guide an intern’s professional development.
To abide by the rules of direct supervision, you must:
- Supervise your intern on a daily basis.
- Provide reasonable opportunities for your intern to gain experience in each IDP experience area.
- Regularly assesses the quality of your intern’s work.
- Periodically certify your intern's experience reports.
As 1 July 2010, all interns need to submit their experience in reporting periods of no longer than six months and within two months of completion of each reporting period. Make sure your interns are aware of this rule and when it applies to them. [more]
Benefits of Supervising an Intern
Supervising an intern has several benefits for you personally and your firm as a whole.
- Improves your communication, management, and leadership skills.
- Allows you to articulate how the profession protects the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
- Provides an opportunity for you to learn from your intern.
- Builds trust and commitment.
- Produces success. What an intern learn from you now will establish your success later as a team.
- Establishes an environment of information sharing within your firm.
- Assists in staff retention.
- Develops leaders that will drive the future of your practice and the profession.
For more information on the benefits of supervising interns and participating in the IDP, see the IDP Guidelines.
The Online Reporting System: Instructions for Supervisors
Learn how to review and approve your intern’s experience reports through NCARB's online reporting system. [more]
Click here to log into the online reporting system as a supervisor.