Ready to Take the ARE?
If you have an active NCARB Record and have fulfilled all of your jurisdiction's requirements, you can place your request through the "My NCARB" section of our website. It's quick and easy!
Here's what you do:
- Log into your My NCARB account and go to your Record.
- Click "Request a Transmittal of your NCARB Record."
- Select the jurisdiction you would like to test and click "submit."
- The system will check to see if you have the required education and/or experience on record to support your request for eligibility to the ARE. If it appears that you fulfill the selected jurisdiction's requirements, an e-mail will be sent instantly to that board (aka state board) requesting that they review your request for authorization to take the ARE. *For boards participating in NCARB's Direct Registration or Direct Eligibility programs, your request will be managed by NCARB staff for granting your Authorization to Test if you hold a degree from a NAAB- or CACB-accredited program.
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation immediately after submitting your request. This will provide details on the next steps in this process. After review and approval, your Authorization to Test (ATT) letter will be sent to you directly (by mail), if you are eligible. Processing times for reviewing requests vary by board. It may take up to three weeks for your ATT to arrive by mail after you have been approved. You may wish to review the Registration Board Requirements on our website and contact your desired board directly to determine the specific criteria required to test for that jurisdiction.
If you do not currently qualify to take the ARE in your selected jurisdiction, you will receive a message on the screen indication the reason why the request cannot be accepted at this time.
* All applicants must submit the full $350 Record fee prior to receiving their Authorization to Test (ATT). If you only paid the initial $100 to start your Record, you will be required to submit payment for the balance prior to being granted your ATT.
Many Boards now offer Early Eligibility (the ability to pursue the ARE prior to completion of the IDP). A list of Boards offering this alternative can be found here.
Please note: This request will serve as your authorization to NCARB to transmit your Record to the board that you have selected. It will be used to support both your request for early eligibility for the ARE (if applicable) and also to authorize the release of your full Record to this board after completion of the IDP. **If you wish to change your jurisdictional preference after submitting this request, other fees and requirements may apply. Please contact at CustomerService@NCARB.org or 202/879-0520 if you need to change your jurisdiction.